International Voice Over
The Soaring Popularity of International Voiceover: Unlocking the Power of Authenticity in Video Content
An ad or corporate video that uses a voiceover with an international accent, adds value to a campaign or business project. We humans are intrigued by international accents. Someone whose accent is foreign, means that they know more than one language, possibly many. What do we take away from that? That they are smart! Smart enough to understand and live in a different culture and grasp an unfamiliar way of thinking. So maybe what they have to say is more informed. We also think that they are brave and disciplined. It takes courage and determination to learn another language. To repeatedly make errors until you get it right. We unconsciously align these attributes with a company that casts a voiceover artist with an international accent to represent their brand.
Kim Handysides, an International voice over artist
International voiceover means different things to different people. In Kim’s home turf of the USA and Canada, English spoken with UK and EU accents is considered desirable. In the UK, an American accent is thought to be uber attractive. Whether the media project is a corporate video, a web or TV ad, content destined for a podcast or radio show or a dub of something produced in an original language, a clear, well-enunciated international accent is very popular.
A classically trained actor, with an excellent ear for dialect and accents, Kim has the unique advantage of being able to not only perform text in an approachable way with passion and credibility, but to speak clearly to audiences where English is spoken as a second language. She’s been cast in hundreds of projects where her American/Canadian accent has been considered a desirable international voiceover.
Kim is the English voice of the Transilien train announcements around Paris and the station ad voice for Riviera radio (Cannes, Monaco, St Tropez). Air Europa hired Kim for their in-plane announcements. A UK post-production house engaged Kim to perform their in-show TV narration for the international production of L’Oréal Paris: Women of Worth. She’s done countless ads in Germany, the Netherlands and France (Diesel, GUM, Acor, etc). Recent corporate projects where her clear, pleasant general American accent was perceived as international include video voiceovers for UK, Italy, Turkey, Poland, Denmark, SIngapore, Korea and Czech (Mandiant, LVMH, 3M, Bekaert, KPMG, Deloitte, Volkswagen, Carbon Kerma)
The Surge in International Voiceover:
Video content producers briefed with a project with a global scope increasingly use voiceover actors who can rock an international accent. That sound that we can’t quite pin down. We know they’ve traveled. Perhaps they lived in a few places and are now making their home in our area. There are so many reasons for this rising trend. Here are four key ones.
Broadening Global Audiences:
1. As our world becomes more interconnected, local populations become more diverse and to be effective, video content must cater to diversity. Casting a voiceover artist with what is perceived as an international accent helps producers forge deeper connections with viewers, whether they are from other cultures and countries to the local norm or whether they are local but well traveled. A voice from somewhere else can resonate with and engage a broader spectrum of potential consumers in any multimedia production.
Multinational Brand Expansion:
2. A company with a mandate to expand and market their products and services across borders can use voiceover artists able to deliver their brand’s message convincingly in different accents and cultural contexts. International voiceover helps multinational corporations firmly establish a local presence while at the same time demonstrating an authentic voice to their target audience.
Building Authentic Narratives:
3. Authenticity is the holy grail of effective storytelling. A voiceover artist with an international sound can uniquely transport viewers to different regions, capturing the essence of diverse cultures. Whether the voiceover artist leverages their mastery of an accent, or the voiceover actor is authentically from a region or country outside where the commercial is being produced and aired, the audio narrative is infused with a genuine sense of place and creates an immersive experience that resonates deeply with audiences.
Expanding Creative Possibilities:
4. In considering casting an international voiceover, content makers unlock limitless creative possibilities. They can shape narratives featuring characters from various corners of the world, bringing more cultural nuance to the story. This approach fosters EDI (equity, diversity and inclusivity), an important aspect many brands aspire to currently. A voice from somewhere else can enrich your storytelling, and promotes cross-cultural understanding.
More International Voiceover, Please…
The demand for international voiceover continues to increase in the UK and northern EU for compelling reasons. By broadening global audiences, supporting multinational brand expansion, fostering authenticity in storytelling, and expanding creative possibilities, the distinct sound of an international voiceover artist is an invaluable asset to video content producers. An American-accent voiceover is very effective in capturing viewers’ attention and has the power to captivate audiences across borders. Take note of these:
Prominent Commercials in Germany and the Netherlands with American Accent Voice Over:
- Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke”: An American-accent voiceover in this iconic campaign helped create a friendly, relatable tone. It resonated strongly with viewers in Germany and the Netherlands, fostering a warm emotional response.
- Apple’s “Think Different”: Now legendary, this advert featuring an American-accent voiceover captured the hearts of audiences in the Northern EU. The eloquent delivery combined with an aspirational message struck a profound chord.
- Volkswagen’s “The Force”: This charming commercial, cast with an American-accent voice over, became a sensation in the EU. The playful delivery of the voiceover complimented the ad’s whimsical nature making it a fan favorite.
- McDonald’s “I’m Lovin’ It”: With an iconic American-accented voiceover, this memorable campaign connected with international audiences effortlessly. An energetic and catchy delivery helped make it a popular commercial.
Award-Worthy International Voiceover Examples:
- Audi’s “Ever After”: This heartwarming commercial uses an international voiceover beautifully to depict a modern Cinderella story that transcends borders. The sensitive portrayal of characters through authentic accents earned it critical acclaim and widespread recognition.
- Nike’s “Unlimited Courage”: In this inspiring ad, stories of athletes from different countries came to life with an international voiceover, which helped celebrate their diverse backgrounds and triumphs. An authentic, emotive voiceover led to its recognition as an award-winning commercial.
Embrace the power of international voiceover to elevate your video content to new heights of authenticity and engagement. Contact Kim for a quote or a sample.